The senator launches a campaign to investigate the closure of the Department of Education: “I will fight with everything I have”

by jessy
The senator launches a campaign to investigate the closure of the Department of Education: "I will fight with everything I have"

Senator Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., Will launch a campaign to “save our schools” on Wednesday against President Donald Trump and the attempt by the Secretary of Education Linda McMahon to dismantle the Department of Education.

“The federal government has invested in our public schools,” Warren said in an exclusive interview with ABC News. “Remove that from our children so that a handful of billionaires can be even richer is simply ugly, and I will fight it with everything I have.”

Warren suggested that he was working with students, teachers, parents and unions to “sound the alarm” throughout the country.

“My starting point with this campaign is that I know the power to tell stories and the power it brings to organize people in the fight. We need numbers to win, and that’s how we start,” Warren said.

In a brief video obtained by ABC News that Warren is publishing his approximately 20 million followers on social networks on Wednesday morning, Warren says he is launching an investigation into the reported plans to replace the call centers of the Department of Education with Chatbots. ABC News has not independently confirmed these reports.

Senator Elizabeth Warren speaks during a press conference with Democratic senators about the protection of Social Security benefits for Americans, in Capitol, on April 1, 2025.

Jim Watson/AFP through Getty Images

Warren said that through a combination of federal investigations, supervision, storytelling and even demands, he will work with the community, including legislators in Congress, to do everything possible to defend public education. Warren did not provide more details on how he plans to challenge the administration through federal supervision and demands.

A former special education teacher, Warren, said he opposes the revision of the Trump administration agency because he said it can result in dismissed teachers and an increase in classes, adding that programs with special needs “will disappear.” However, the Trump administration has promised to maintain legal funds, such as programs for students with special needs.

Trump said those services for students with disabilities, such as those protected by the Law of Education of Individuals with Disabilities, will be relocated to other departments, including the Department of Health and Human Services, which are submitted to mass dismissals in themselves.

“They think that the American people are stupid [and] He will be deceived to slapped a different title at the door and that somehow our children will get the help to which they are entitled, “Warren told ABC News.

“No one is fooled and certainly not children who need that help,” he added.

The Trump Administration has said that it is returning education to the States to dismantle the Federal Department and that students will be better attended by their state departments.

The campaign is also personal for Warren. In the video obtained by ABC News, Warren said that he has seen with his own eyes what the Department of Education for Families does with special needs and that he is doing everything possible to “defend himself.”

Warren said she was inspired by her second -degree teacher to join the education ranks.

“Every time someone asked about my future, I kept a little higher and said: ‘I’m going to be a teacher,” Warren recalled. “Guide my whole life.”

Last month, Trump signed an executive order that aims to gut the Department of Education. He directs McMahon to close the department using all the necessary steps allowed under the law. Even so, eliminating the department would require an act of Congress because it was created by Congress.

The Secretary of Education, Linda McMahon, meets President Donald Trump during the signature ceremony for an executive order to close the Department of Education in the Eastern Room of the White House in Washington, on March 20, 2025.

Carlos Barria/Reuters

The campaign occurs following the department by reducing almost half of its workforce last month. Hundreds of employees in the Federal Student Aid office were fired, what Warren said that it could have “great consequences” in the dozens of millions of student loans borrowers who trust the portfolio of student loans of $ 1.6 billion from the department to achieve a higher education. Trump has said that student loans will now be managed by the administration of small businesses.

“The Department of Education (ED) seems to be abandoning the millions of parents, students and borrowers who trust a functional federal student aid system to reduce education costs,” Warren wrote and a group of Democratic senators in a letter that urged McMahon to restore federal employees dismissed.

The FSA operations have already been affected, according to a family source. The federal student loan website briefly decreased less than 24 hours after the agency cuts. Yours from you fired were frantically called to join a problem -solving call to restore the website for millions of borrowers, according to the source.

As part of the Warren campaign launch, the senator said she will also highlight the impact of the real world on educators, students and families through a series of stories collections. She said she is encouraging community members to share presentations on how public education has influenced their lives and what it means to them. Warren told ABC News that he made a similar campaign with federal employees at the Consumer Financial Protection Office earlier this year.

The headquarters of the Department of Education is shown on March 12, 2025 in Washington.

Win McNamee/Getty Images

However, Warren’s investigations and federal supervision could be hindered by the position of Democrats in Washington.

“Democrats are a minority in the chamber and the Senate, and obviously we do not have the White House, but not having as much power as we want not to have power,” Warren told ABC News. “We still have much we can do, and this combination of investigations, supervision, storytelling and demands is that we can combine more power and go back strongly, and it has already given some results.”

Meanwhile, the search for administration to abolish the department has already caused a legal battle for a coalition of states and civil rights groups, including a group of public school and school districts unions in the native state of Massachusetts of Warren.

The senator said she hopes that each person who worries about education joins her campaign.

“We have to fight for a America where they are not only the children of billionaires who get a good education, but are all the children of each community who receive a great education,” he said. “This fight is our fight.”

You may also like

Leave a Comment

nineteen − fifteen =